GRE® GENERAL TEST
Graduate Record Examination (GRE):
The GRE® GENERAL TEST is a standardised test that is required for admissions in post-graduate Programs. It is administered by Educational Testing Service (ETS). The aim of this test is basically to measure the verbal reasoning, quantitative reasoning, critical thinking, and analytical writing skills of a student.
Who can take this exam?
The applicants who have done graduation and who are interested in pursuing for a Master or doctoral degree Program take the GRE® GENERAL TEST.
GRE scores are used by admissions or fellowship panels to supplement your undergraduate records, recommendation letters and other qualifications for graduate-level study.
Test dates and Location:
GRE® GENERAL TEST is offered at multiple dates in a month with quick results. To find GRE latest test dates, click here.
ICD conducts GRE® GENERAL TEST exams at center in Lahore. Below are the Test Centre numbers and locations:
STN15149A – Lahore
STN15122A – Karachi
GRE® GENERAL TEST can be registered online by creating ETS account and logging in it directly with Official GRE® GENERAL TEST website.
Exam Fee = $205 which is Payable online through credit/debit card: American Express®, Discover®, JCB®, China Union Pay®, Diners Club®, Mastercard® or VISA®.
Test taker will receive their official scores through email notification from ETS. Also, they can see scores on their Official ETS Account. If you wish to have a paper copy of your official Test-taker Score Report, you may use the print functionality in your account to print a copy of your official score report.
Also, ETS sends official Graduate Institution Score Reports directly to all authorized score recipients students enter at the end of their exam.
GRE test scores are reported in score scale as mentioned below:
|Verbal Reasoning||130–170, in 1 point increments|
|Quantitative Reasoning||130–170, in 1 point increments|
|Analytical Writing||0–6, in half point increments|
- No Score (NS) is reported for a component, If no questions are answered in it.
- Test taker can see their Unofficial Score report for two sections at the end of their exam i-e Verbal Reasoning and Quantitative Reasoning.
Information about the GRE General Test
- Overview of the Verbal Reasoning measure
- Overview of the Quantitative Reasoning measure
- Overview of the Analytical Writing measure
Find the latest information about GRE tests, policies and procedures for testing and GRE services here:
Download GRE General Test Information PDF
|GRE® GENERAL TEST Sections||Computer-Based|
|No. of Sections||Duration|
|Analytical Writing||1 Section, 2 tasks||60 minutes|
|Quantitative Reasoning||2 Sections, 40 questions||60 minutes|
|Ernst Handel||2 Sections 40 questions||70 minutes|
Test Day Information:
- Test taker must bring Passport or CNIC.
- Report the test center 30 min before the test time starts.
- Candidate must reach test centre 20-30 minutes before the starting time.
- Candidates are required to bring their CNIC card or Passport, or they won’t be allowed to take test.
- No edible is allowed within test centre.
- Candidates aren’t allowed to bring cell phone, any electronic devices and bags in the test centre.
- Stationary and page(s) will be provided by the institute to perform the exam.
- GRE General test is of duration of four and a half hours.
- Personal calculators are not permitted in the testing room.
- You will be required to read and sign a confidentiality statement at the test center agreeing to all rules and regulations. If you do not sign the statement, you cannot test and your test fees will not be refunded.
- The test administrator will provide you with scratch paper for use during the test. Scratch paper is not to be used before the test or during breaks. During the test, if you have used all of your scratch paper, you must return it to the test center staff in order to receive more. You cannot remove a page or portion of the scratch paper at any time. All paper, in its entirety, must be returned to the test center administrator at the end of the testing session.
- The GRE General Test uses a standard English-language (QWERTY) computer keyboard. It takes its name from the first 6 letters in the third row of the keyboard. If you haven’t used this kind of keyboard before, practice on one before test day to become familiar with it.
- If at any time during the test you have a problem with your computer, or for any reason need the administrator, raise your hand.
- The GRE General Test includes an optional 10-minute break after the third section and one-minute breaks between the remaining sections of the test. These break times cannot be exceeded. You are required to remain in the test center building or in the immediate area. You are not permitted to go outside the test center building unless it is to use the restroom during the test administration, including breaks.
- If you need to leave your seat at any time other than the break, raise your hand; timing of the section will not stop.
- You will have access to an on-screen calculator during the Quantitative Reasoning sections.
Frequently asked Questions:
Answer: Exam Fee of GRE is $205 which is payable Online through Credit card / Debit Card.
Answer: ETS provides special consideration to test taker with disabilities and health related issues. Find more at this link. Your exam is scheduled at our test centers after approval of your accommodations.
Answer: No, Personal calculators are not allowed in GRE General test as an on-screen calculator for use in the Quantitative Reasoning section is available with basic functions of addition, subtraction, multiplication, division and a square root.